Definition

Karma (Sanskrit: कर्म kárma , kárman- "act, action, performance"[1]; Pali: kamma) is the concept of "action" or "deed" in Indian religions understood as that which causes the entire cycle of cause and effect (i.e., the cycle called samsara) described in Hindu, Jain, Sikh and Buddhist philosophies.

Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Buddhism-Taoism-Zen

I've been looking at Eastern philosophies for the past few days, trying to decide which one fits me the best. My initial thought was "Zen", which seemed to be driven by the popularity of it in what amounts to marketing. Since I'm seeking enlightenment and happiness, I decided to begin that journey by seeking to learn about the paths available.

On some points, Buddhism makes sense to me, and on other a more Taoist view is appealing. Then I looked at the history of Zen:

"Around 475 A.D. one of these teachers, Bodhidharma, traveled from India to China and introduced the teachings of the Buddha there. In China Buddhism mingled with Taoism. The result of this mingling was the Ch'an School of Buddhism."

Sometimes what you have found first turns out to be what is best for you to find.

My thought for meditation today, and perhaps for more days than just this one:

"If you understand, things are just as they are. If you do not understand, things are just as they are."

In essence, "it is what it is". The only difference is in the observer.

No comments: